In 1875, Charles F. Stodder founded the India Alkali Works on Boston's historic India Wharf. The company manufactured a granulated soap called "Savogran" which was sold in bulk to hotels, railroads, textile mills and public institutions. Clem Stodder, Charles' son, saw potential for "Savogran" as a consumer product and began creating smaller packages for retail sale. It was soon discovered that consumers could easily remember the popular "Savogran" name but not the identity of the company which manufactured it. So, in 1926 the India Alkali Works became the Savogran Company.